GC Hand Therapy Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Covid-19 vaccination requirements at GC Hand Therapy?
- All our team are vaccinated, as mandated by the QLD and NSW Government for all Healthcare workers
- We remain available for consultations to both vaccinated and unvaccinated patients, please note: Upon arrival you and your visitors will be required to provide a copy of a Covid-19 vaccination certificate. If you are unvaccinated, you will be required to wear a mask. We have an obligation to protect our team, and therefore if you are unable to provide proof of vaccination, or wear a mask, you will be required to wait outside until your appointment time and a protective screen will be used during your consultation. Please be respectful of our staff as we navigate through these difficult times, our staff are here to help and are following government and company guidelines.
What does a Hand Therapist do?
Hand Therapists are Occupational or Physiotherapists who specialise in assessing and treating Hand and Upper Limb conditions. Hand Therapists provide conservative treatment for a variety of conditions as well as assisting with patient recovery following surgery. Hand Therapists can assist with:
- Monitoring and treatment of wounds
- Custom made splint manufacture
- Casting after injury
- Pain management/techniques
- Improving function
- Odema Management
- Scar Management
- Massage/Heat Treatment
- Sensory and desensitization education
- Adjusting to life after injury
- Assist with Return to Work, sports, hobbies and pre-injury activities
- Home exercise programs
- Handwriting assessments and advice
- Advice on Workplace ergonomic setup
We provide regular reports to referring Doctors to keep them informed and updated.
What should I expect at my initial appointment?
At your initial consultation, your therapist will conduct an evaluation with you and disucss any relevant history, referrals and any treament and/or prescriptions you may have already received. This evaluation will assist your therapist in learning where are currently, what symptoms you have, and to learn what goals you are hoping to achieve. Your therapist will work with you to work out a plan to help you achieve the best outcome for your circumstances. If indicated, you will receive treatment in your first consultation, such as the manufacture of a splint/orthosis and/or exercise prescription.
Which conditions does GC Hand Therapy treat?
- Acute hand and upper limb traumatic injuries
- Elbow, wrist and hand fractures
- Finger fractures, dislocations and sprains
- DeQuervain’s Tenosynovitis
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Cubital tunnel syndrome
- Tennis Elbow/Golfer’s elbow
- Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Trigger finger/thumb
- CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome)
- Overuse injuries
- Boutonniere and Swan-neck deformities
- Mallet finger injuries
- Tendon and nerve repairs
- Ligament injuries and repairs
- Nerve palsies and parasthesias
- Amputations and formalisations
- Nail-bed repairs
- Skin grafts
- Joint fusions and replacements
- Dupuytren’s disease (post operatively)
I have a Care Plan and my Doctor says it's free, is that right?
No, there is an out-of-pocket expense, although we do offer a concession rate. Medicare provides a $55.10 rebate if you have a Chronic Disease Management Plan (EPC or Care Plan). We require full payment for the appointment and any incidentals at the time of the consultation. We are able to process the Medicare rebate at the clinic as long as we have a copy of the Care Plan, your Medicare card and an EFTPOS card linked to Cheque or savings. Medicare will not rebate onto a Credit card.
I have a Private Health fund, am I covered?
It depends on your Extras coverage. Hand Therapy comes under either Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy depending on which therapist you see. We have HICAPS available at all our clinics for claiming Please contact your health fund to determine your coverage. Codes for health funds are below:
Initial Consultation code 100
Subsequent Consultation code 200
Initial Consultation code 500
Subsequent Consultation code 506
Who can be referred?
Privately funded patients.
Patients funded by Workers Compensation or third party insurers (e.g. Workcover Qld, Allianz, CGU, GIO, Suncorp) – with prior approval.
Patients funded by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs (DVA), with prior approval (Form D904 from their Health Practitioner or referral from a Specialist).
Patients using a GP Management Plan/Enhanced Primary Care Plan.
Patients who are Plan Managed under NDIS are able to have their bill sent directly to their Plan Manager if we have received pre-arranged approval. Those that are self-funded, can pay at the clinic and then request reimbursement from NDIS.
Do I need a referral?
If you are funded by Workcover or Department of Veteran Affairs, you will require a referral. Some Private Health Funds require a Doctors referral before you can claim on a custom-made splint. If you are self-funded you can self-refer.
What should I bring with me to my appointment?
Please bring any imaging reports and/or referral with you to your appointment. If you have a Care Plan, please bring your Medicare card and an EFTPOS card for us to process your rebate. If you are claiming through your health fund, please bring your Private Health card with you.
How much will it cost?
Please contact us directly to discuss to obtain pricing relevant to you. Any splints/braces or other products are charged separately.
For patients funded by DVA and Workers Compensation, there is no out of pocket cost, as long as the patient is able to provide a current DVA claim number and D904/referral or Workers Compensation insurance claim number, current Work Capacity certificate and approval from applicable insurance provider.
For patients using an EPC plan, full payment is required at the time of consultation (at a discounted rate). Patients will need the EPC/GPMP plan, Medicare Care card and an Eftpos card in order for us to process the Medicare rebate of $55.10 at the time of consultation. Patients are left with a small out of pocket cost.
Patients who have Private Health Fund coverage may receive a rebate on the cost of their consultation depending upon their individual coverage. Please check with your Provider if you are covered for Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy (dependant on which practitioner you have booked with at our clinic). We have HICAPS available at each clinic for claiming consultations, splints and incidentals will need to be claimed direct with the health fund separately.
Where are we?
34 Hollywell Rd, Biggera Waters, Queensland, 4216.
PH: (07) 5500 5617
FAX: (07) 5500 5391
4/43 Commerce Drive, Robina QLD, Australia
PH: (07) 5578 7977
FAX: (07) 5578 9077
Unit 4/1 Sands Street, Tweed Heads, New South Wales, 2485.
PH: (07) 5536 3171
FAX: (07) 5536 1514
3/31 Cherry Street, Ballina, New South Wales, 2478.
PH: (02) 6686 6587
FAX: (02) 6681 1945